The World Angelfish Forum > Angelfish Discussions > Angelfish Med Center > Bloated Angelfish

Angelfish Med Center Medications, symptoms and Urgent Help

Old 12-14-2009, 06:21 PM

Default Bloated Angelfish

I have a female angelfish in a 29 gallon tank that has been having issues for a few months now. Back in the summer, she laid eggs in the tank. After this, she looked bloated and with a large bulge. Recently she has become even larger, though her behavior seems normal. She eats and swims normally.

She is in a 29 gallon tank with neon tetras, hatchet fish, a pleco, and cory cats. All of the other fish look fine.

I have attached a picture of her taken earlier today.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (26.6 KB, 33 views)
Old 12-14-2009, 07:11 PM

Default Re: Bloated Angelfish

I have a male who just recovered bloated belly, Guess you could use some help from that thread. I was helped by many nice people in this forum.
http://www.angelfishkisses.com/forum...ead.php?t=3648
bloated belly could be just constipation, kidney problem retaining water in the fish body or drops. In drops which is a bacterial infection you will notice that the fish scales are perpendicular on its body giving it the shape of a pine apple.
if your fish is constipated, then you could give it a laxative, like some crushed fresh pea, or you can soak some flakes with glycerin. I used to use Epsom salt but I believe that all I did didn't help and the fish returned to normal by its self, it took more than 2 weeks before the fish was recovered during which he was completely fasting. now he is eagerly searching for food. I was just lucky

Last edited by gobble; 12-14-2009 at 07:12 PM. Reason: add link
Old 12-14-2009, 07:18 PM
I have no life other than Angelfish

the angle of the lower body makes it look like there is kinda like a big bubble under there. Is there something under her belly?? Or am I seeing things
Old 12-14-2009, 08:35 PM

Thanks for the replies.

I don't think what you're seeing is a bubble. It's all part of the fish.

Her scales look normal. I'm not sure if she's constipated because I've seen her poop a few times since she's had this lump.

I have an empty one gallon tank. Should I quarantine her so I can make sure to keep her from eating?
Old 12-15-2009, 05:07 AM
The Angelfish Whisperer

Hi KHV, I have seen that once or twice in our fish a long time ago and I euthenised the fish any chance of another pic from a different angle or close up. It does not look like typical bloat to me.
In bloat the whole abdominal cavity becomes swollen and that does not appear to be the case from the photo.

From what i see in the photo it looks like a localised extrusion. It looks more like and abscess or possibly a type of internal worm just before it breaks out.

If you get something that is not explained, its always best to isolate it from other fsh. But if it does have a parasite be prepared to treat the others too. As a precaution you might want to treat it with Levasole (dewormer)

Pete
Old 12-15-2009, 01:25 PM

This morning she was floating at the top of the tank near the filter. I removed her to a hospital tank.

Should I try to treat her in the separate tank or just leave her alone? And should I treat the original tank or just do a water change?

I've attached a few more pictures. I'm sorry they're not very clear.

Thank you so much for the help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1260.jpg (35.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (27.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (72.6 KB, 19 views)
Old 12-15-2009, 06:55 PM
The Angelfish Whisperer

Thanks for the additional photos khv.
She surely does have a distended stomach. You are faced with the tough choice of trying to save her or putting her out of her misery.

If taking the path to try and save her, I have only seen one cure for bloat, if indeed thats what she has.

Put her in her own hospital tank
Do a water change
Put the temperature up to 88 degrees
Dose the tank with 1 table spoon of epsom salts for each 10 gallons.
Do not feed her
Do a water change and epsom salt re-dose every day.
Keep a watch on her poop and if she discharges the contents of her stomach try to understand what she has discharged

If she has bloat it will not necessarily affect the other fish that were in the tank, bloat usually affects individual fish and the others should be ok

More importantly try to understand what led to the cause of the bloat, in my case it was overfeeding frozen brine shrimp. The uneaten shrimp attract a host of harmful bacteria very quickly, then when they eat it a little later they suffer this horrible fate.

The fish in the photo would be on the list to be euthenised if it were in our tanks, but trying to save her may be an experience worth trying.

Pete
Old 12-16-2009, 05:48 AM

I had a males with bloated belly too and it got cured. not sure what caused it and not sure what solved it. He didn't pass any strange bulky poop or something, and I gave up treating him with epsom salt and antibiotics. after a week of stopping to treat him, he was just fine. Still wondering what caused that bloated belly to him. One thing to mention is that he was fasting for more than 2 weeks during his illness, not a single tiny bite, not even a very tiny guppy fry. It was a fish waiting to die, but it didn't!

The World Angelfish Forum > Angelfish Discussions > Angelfish Med Center