The World Angelfish Forum > Angelfish Discussions > Angelfish Care for Beginners > Food > Feeding Live food(guppies) to Angels

Food What to feed Angelfish as fry and adults

Old 05-11-2007, 07:59 AM
Jack's Angels

Default Feeding Live food(guppies) to Angels

I have read that angelfish keepers/growers/breeders have fed live beautiful little guppy fry to angels. That is in my opinion a MURDEROUS act.Now my argument;

Don't they bleed,don't they mate,don't they laugh( well maybe too far on that one) aren't they born live just we are,don't they have personalities,don't they rush to greet you in the moring to eat what you have to offer them.

My name on the forumII was Guppies and Angels-so you know where I am coming from. Now this thread-an Idea of Glenda's just had to be posted.She on one hand does not know just what I am writing but will soon find out. As I see it there are two camps-the have's and the have not's. I am talking about having a heart that beats and has warm blood in it-not ice water and I not talking about having/keeping/growing/breeding/enjoying/loving little guppies as to what camp you are in.

So let us enter into a spirited debate on the subject-stay away from the"Ignore that Guy List" till all argument are in OK.We can also talk about other kinds of live bait-worms yeah they crawl around,brines shrimp yeah they swim in circles,wingless fruit flies yeah they hop-----so hop to it and give it your best shot. At me -not at Glenda cause she don't even like guppies. If you think this is humorous---well it is meant to be-well part of it.

Glenda does like guppies-I was wrong about that.
I did not use any of them darn smilies,I prefer to do my own explaining and misspelling if you don't mind Ha Ha

Last edited by Jack's Angels; 05-11-2007 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Added comment-Glenda likes Guppies
Old 05-11-2007, 09:22 AM
Lady Tuscanny

Default Re: Feeding Live food(guppies) to Angels

I have a really hard time feeding live food to my fish, I know that it is the circle of life, the only thing that I seem not to have problems with is bbs. Once they grow into adults they are two beautiful to feed. I had a grow out tanks for brine shrimp, then ended up not doing anything with them because I couldn't kill them.

Anyway back to topic. I've read this post twice, not sure I understand exactly everything that is being said, especially the ignore thing. This is just for our views, right?

Fran
Old 05-11-2007, 09:28 AM
angelmania

Now my wise friend Jack,
I disagree with you of course.
Do you not as breeders select the best Angels to breed with and cull all those runts and misfits?
Tell me what is the difference?
Isnt that scrawny Angel living and breathing too?.

I do admire the FANCY guppies..
the lyre tails,the new iredescent varietys,etc.
These are show guppies...

Then there are the so called bread and butter fish of the aquaria shops,
set under special lighting to draw the customers eyes.

Under Constant interbreeding many faults have occured...
females with arched backs,unable to even give birth without dying.
Guppies with tails twice the size of their bodies they cant even swim properly.
Is this not also a cruel practice?

Guppies from the wild do not even resemble the Fish bought in shops.
Many guppy breeders today are re-introducing wild Guppies into their stock to improve the health of this once an easy to care for fish.

My guppies are NOT the fancy kind but are sold as feeders or your bargain pick and mix offers.
Yes I do feed the excess guppies I have in my crayfish Tank to both my Angels and the community stock,
otherwise they would be packed like sardines in a can.

I dont have sufficient tanks or space to raise everyone of them.
There are about 50 or more tiny fry swimming in Houdinis tank(the crayfish)even AFTER I have removed some.
The small 2 footer cannot handle that amount of fish.
If the LFS wished to take them off my hands I would pass them on,but sadly they have no interest.

So you may ask why did i purchase them?ffor Houdini of course
She happens to be a Fish killer,
but I Cant allow her to feast on the more expensive fish in my tanks...ooh and NO WAY let her in with my Angels.
She is a Creature with natural instincts...on just processed and dead food she lost the character we had got accustomed to.

Jack put some small fry..minnows guppies whatever with those electric blue crays..they WONT all die..pretty soon those crays will breed for you.

I am trying to give my Angels the best life in captivity that I can,
I feed them a diet the same as many of you do..
(but i cannot purchase black worms here)
the guppies are an occassional treat, it is not a day to day event.

The Angels love the chase..and in nature the saying goes big fish eats little fish.
On that point there are survivors..and they are living happily along side the Angels...so survival of the fittest.
Your comments please............?
Old 05-11-2007, 10:48 AM
Lady Tuscanny

How about if we put a few standard guppies in a tank full of angels and let nature take its course. I used to do this when I didn't know anybetter. I have been thinking about doing it again and sometimes saving the fry.

Fran
Old 05-11-2007, 11:09 AM
Jack's Angels

Well Fran and Glenda-I know a lot more about life than to argue with people smarter than I am-especially you two women and Ladies at that.It is an honor for me to have first called you both by the Title of Lady.

Now I know what I am writing (most of the time) my senses are worn by age but not by use of alcohol -bad things happened to me when I use to tip the bottle-but what I write is not always what people read. Sometime I will repeat a word a few times -on purpose-to get my point across. It troubles me even to think that I have hurt someones feelings by what I did or said. Enough dribble on that subject.

This is not the end of my confessions though- I further confess and declare that years ago-I learned you can win a battle(s) but still lose the war. So I learned the most valuable words in the English language----"YES DEAR YOU ALL ALWAYS RIGHT" I have also learned (Ha Ha ) there is a time and place as to how to go about using those words. And I know that by example!!!!

Fran now I can not see how feeding adult brineshrimp differs from feeding bbs.All they do is swim in circles-but if that bothers you then you are o.k. in my book-and I believe a member of (my camp) Oh the "Ignor" part I am joking about the ignor this guy -feature. I believe that I am on that list of people who do not want to know if I am posting or who refuse my PM's,but hit don't matter to me.

Glenda thanks for your response and I can not argue with your logic,however if "Runts and misfits" are to be disposed of-What the heck kind of future do you think I would have had when I was young. I struggled to survive-2 miles to school each day and uphill both there and home.Read that again Ha Ha.

Well I am not an animal-been called a lower life form by a few people but that was after they had been handcuffed and they knew I was not permitted to strike them while under restraint.

Time to go to Columbus Ohio and have a nice steak dinner-yes eating a lower life form for lunch.Ah ha you say-hypocrit- well maybe. In closing I say-It has been real,it has been fun but it has not been real fun. Yes it has!!!!! Bless you two.

Last edited by Jack's Angels; 05-11-2007 at 11:16 AM. Reason: darn keyboard
Old 05-11-2007, 11:17 AM
angelmania

Fran
I am not saying its the right thing to do, as many would disagree.
There are about four or five guppies that are growing up in my tank full of Angels,
if there are males and females then the guppies will breed and be an instant source of fresh food.

This information below was taken from a book on Angelfish care.
The Authors say..
It should be remembered in nature that a fishes natural food is other fishes.
They say more fish would be eaten in a guppy tank by the parents than ever reach full size.
They recommend that if an Angelfish go off its food,baby guppies will start them feeding once more.
The book states that of ALL live food baby Guppies and other small livebearing species create the greatest excitement to be seen in an Angelfish tank.

This is true...
My Angels will search them out and enjoy the chase.
The guppies have a good chance of survival if they hide out in the Amazon frogbit plant.
When they get too big..the Angels are no longer interested.
The Guppies pluck at the algae on the glass and eat any food waste too.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:22 AM
Jack's Angels

I might add one last thought-Did you ever hear of an Angelifish being given top honors at an International Guppy Show-I think not. Ah Ha
Old 05-11-2007, 11:56 AM
Madam Button-Pusher

Jack,

Since I can't even get guppies to live for me...I don't raise them. LOL If I did raise the fancy guppies I don't think I would feed their fry to the Angels unless I was being over run with guppy fry. BUT.....if I was raising the common types of guppies I would feed the fry to the Angels. Maybe not everyday...but as a treat now and then. I would never buy guppy feeders from a pet shop to feed the Angels because of diseases the could carry to the Angels.

As far as culling Angelfish in my hatchery. I feed the culls to the bigger fish. I know a lot of people don't agree with that, but as in nature like Glenda pointed out, big fish eat little fish. NO there is no blood and guts. It is one big GULP and the little fish are GONE, so I don't see it as torture on the smaller fish. I'm sure it's just as quick of a death as putting them in ice water or some other mixture that people use for culling. Plus it gives my bigger fish live food.

I don't consider myself as a heartless person because I even HATE the thought of culling fish (it has to be done) and really it's easier on me to drop culls in with the bigger fish than to sit and watch them die like some of the other ways, then figure out what to do with the "bodies" once they are dead.

It is a touchy subject and everyone has their own opinions on it. I don't think ANYONE enjoys culling their fish, but it has to be done and we all have to find the best way that works for us and also think about what is the quickest way to do it.

I have fed Angelfish fry to adult fish before just to get them eating again after a major hunger strike. I only do that when it is critical to save the life of one of my adult Angels. I LOVE my Angels so it HAS to be critical for me to feed their fry to another fish.

Just my 2 cents.

Deb
♥ ~A wise woman once said, "There comes a time in your life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh. Forget the bad, and focus on the good. Love the people who treat you right, SMACK the ones who don't. Life is too short… to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living." ♥ ~

Old 05-11-2007, 12:24 PM
angelmania

Well said Deb
There are some fish that rely on a good supply of live food to survive..namely Oscars.pike cichlids etc the list goes on.
These fish keepers have seperate tanks where they breed and keep smaller fish just to feed their show fish.

Jack it shows you have a good set of teeth if you can eat steak(winks)
As for this never argue with a woman thing.
Please remember that fishkeeping is my hubbies hobby and the views I portray are his.
I could not disagree with with his logic.
At first I didnt like the idea..but it makes sense.
Anyway who am I to argue also with a houseful of men.

Last edited by angelmania; 05-11-2007 at 01:42 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-11-2007, 01:56 PM
Lady Tuscanny

Quote:
Anyway who am I to argue also with a houseful of men.
Arguing in a house full of men is like talking into the abyssssssssssssssssssssss, I TOLD YOU SO works much better ;0
Old 05-11-2007, 02:12 PM
angelmania

I like a quiet life
Old 05-11-2007, 03:05 PM
The Angelfish Whisperer

I have no hesitation in feeding small live fish to our pirahnas.

Despite their reputation, Pirahnas are the most timid fish i have seen. However, they do need to eat live food from time to time whether it be gold fish, crickets, worms, Angel Culls or guppies.
The six we have here all love to mull in the shadows of the 125 gallon they live in and rarely come into the lighted areas of the tank.

One of the most interesting things to observe with them is their hunting habits as individual fish and as a wolf pack.
I have only seen them hunt as a pack twice, but they do work together collaboratively to herd and spook the ones they want to eat.
Watching them act as a wolf pack is as exciting a thing as I have ever seen...the six of them acted as one...with a purpose.

When Deb has runts..sometimes they go into the Pirahna tank. The Pirahnas will eat the gold or light colored ones within hours but will generally not touch the black for days or weeks.
We had 4 living with the Pirahnas for over 6 months until they were over quarter size.. then one day they decided they needed to be eaten...gone

I don't get uneasy about it...the big guys with teeth make it a very quick affair... always..Like wise with Angels as Deb said...big fish eat small fish
Pete
Old 05-11-2007, 04:38 PM
Jack's Angels

It seems to me-and bythe way I had a salad at the Longhorn Steak House for Lunch-that you all are fixed in your ways about how to feed angels. It is as if in a former life you were either an Aztec High Priest or an understudy to a high priest. Aztec people are called Aztecan people,now say that 3 times very quickly.

Anyone that would sacrifice a baby guppie to an angelfish probably has a custom or ritual on how to go about it. 1) lay the little baby on a cold stone sacrifical altr 2) expose the chest area 3) raise up arms to the Angelfish Gods 4) do a short incantation -or grunt something under your breath 5) plung the itty-bitty knife into the "babies" chest-pull out the heart 6) another incantation and or grunt 7) thrown the little baby's heart into the mouth of the waiting angelfish 8) than dangle the baby guppies body back and forth in the water turning it to a crimson color 9) enjoy the moment with other Aztecan High Priest and his followers.

Now here is how I do it: 1) Take a very young innocent angelfish or a "Family" of young angels 2) add some juvenile guppies and just a little protective cover 3) watch them grow up together in harmony 4) then continue to observe their behavior 5) see the adult angels swimming with the baby guppies as if the guppies are their adopted fry. Believe me or not I had a 55 gal with angels and guppie fry living alongside each other.

Now as you know it don't matter to me-but each one you-have to live with your own conscience. My post here is not to convert or to condemn-cause it don't matter to me-but shame on you,who do such things Ha Ha Ha
Old 05-11-2007, 06:06 PM
angelmania

HEY JACK...
Ive found that Sacrificial stone altars tend to be a tad troublesome,
what with sinking and all when preparing for a fish sacrifice,
I've often found those little turtle islands most fitting, and nicer to look at .....
Now excuse me while I do a little dance and shake my beads whilst wiggling a fish head on a stick for the great NanuFishyToo god of all fish souls
Attached Images
File Type: jpg floating island (Medium).jpg (19.8 KB, 6 views)
Old 05-12-2007, 06:17 AM

Ok, Can we just list who did and did not cry when they watched Finding Nemo? What did we learn from this movie? "Fish are friends not food". Opppps Nemo had a bad fin. Ok,cull him. (This is a fresh water board right?

Richie
Old 05-12-2007, 06:41 AM
Madam Button-Pusher

Richie!!!

I have a question. Why is it always the MOM that gets killed in these movies? Bambi's mom gets shot, Nemo's mom gets eaten, Little Foot's mom gets killed in an earthquake. Can you tell I have kids? Yes, I sat and watched these movies with my kids and cried.

As far as Nemo being culled. I guess that would happen in the ocean if he can't swim fast enough to avoid being eaten by bigger fish.

Deb
♥ ~A wise woman once said, "There comes a time in your life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh. Forget the bad, and focus on the good. Love the people who treat you right, SMACK the ones who don't. Life is too short… to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living." ♥ ~

Old 05-12-2007, 06:49 AM
Jack's Angels

Richie, I never saw Finding Nemo,but when it comes onto cable,I will watch it. I did see Free Willie,what a great little movie. The thing that I don't like about "feeder fish" and I know some people grow agressive fish just for "fun" and to see them pursue smaller fish and devour them -"feeder fish" carry diseases.It is a make money business-not much though- as they only sell for about .10 a fish.They are crowded together,runts from the start and look so out of place in a nice lfs-they hide them on the bottom shelf as if they don't want customers to even see them.

The funny/strange thing about "feeder guppies" they are what got me back into keeping fish after a 20 or so year with out any tanks in my house. I even gave away my nice 55 gal and metal stand years ago.
I wish I had it back-it would be an antique now-stainless steel frame,stainless steel matching lights and a heavy slate bottom. The all glass aquariums of today are nice but not like that old aquarium I gave away.

Well I rescued one dozen "feeder guppies" and here I am now. I recently prchased another dozen feeder guppies and saved the most colorful males and bred them with a pretty half black Geissen female and you know"feeder guppies" will grow to be healty big colorful guppies.
Old 05-12-2007, 06:56 AM

Sunday is MOTHERS DAY. Remimd the children of the trama you suffered and the fear that was induced from doing your best to keep them entertained. Also remind them they have but ONE shopping day left.

Richie
Old 05-12-2007, 08:57 AM
The Angelfish Whisperer

Other than the fact that it is a great Kids story...I would be happy to burn every Nemo DVD...chuckles
Pete
Old 05-12-2007, 09:23 AM
Jack's Angels

Pete,It is possible you have just a bit of that Tasmanian Devil's blood in you,not that liquid that comes from the grape- I mean just down right agressive/hard harted/mean/rotten to the core/un-sympathetic/without tenderness/un-scrupulous/un-to-ward etc. But a finer gentleman I have never met!!! I just notice my title now says Senior Member and I can't edit anyone's comments but my own.I think you are trying to tell me something-go ahead I can take it !!! That what this tread is about-the have and have nots-A heart that has warm flowing blood in it vs. ice water.

The World Angelfish Forum > Angelfish Discussions > Angelfish Care for Beginners > Food