The World Angelfish Forum > Angelfish Discussions > Angelfish Med Center > What medications?

Angelfish Med Center Medications, symptoms and Urgent Help

Old 04-12-2007, 10:16 PM
Lord Bovetek

Default What medications?

I was wondering what all of you keep on hand. You know for the "Just in case". All I really keep on hand is
Meth Blue
Maroxy
Melifix
Ich Stop 1 and 2.

Ben
Old 04-13-2007, 12:00 AM
Exalted Angelfish Genetics Guru

HI Ben,

It just so happens I did this once before so here you are. This list should cover most any problem you have.

hth,
James

Medications to keep on hand.
The dosages and length of treatment are dependent on the water conditions
and they must be taken into consideration before you choose your treatment.

1. Salt or Start Right
2. Methylene Blue
3. Acriflavin (Trypaflavin)
4. Formalin (for fry to small to use Quick Cure)
5. Malachite Green
6. Melafix
7. Pimafix
8. Furan-2 (helps fry losses due to bacteria)
9. Metronidazole (Flagyl) Internal Flagellates
10. Alum (to clean live plants)
11. Tetracycline, Oxytetracycline, or Doxycycline (Vibramycin)
12. Flubendazol (Flubenol 5%) for flukes and internal worms
13. Erythromycin
14. Combination of Formalin/Malachite Green (Quick Cure)
15. Kanamycin (Cantrex, Kamycin, Kantrex, Resistomycin,
Kanaplex) or Gentamycin Sulfate (Garamycin) expensive!!!
For the Plague or Piscine Tuberculosis in very soft water.
Tuberculosis (wasting disease) can not be cured only slowed
so you can obtain fry from a dying pair.

16. Baby Fish Saver by Jungle Products (to save the fry from bad
bbs) Which infects them with Saprolegnia which invades
their gills.
17. Levasole for internal worms of many types
18. Hydrogen Peroxide for fungus, bacterial control, raises o2 level, and hatching eggs
19. Potassium Permanganate for fungus, bacteria, external parasites, raise O2 levels
20. Garlic use in food to get them eating again and to rid of internal worms.
Only expels worms does not kill them like an Anthelminthic such as Levasole, Prazi Pro, or Flubenol does.
21. Prazi Pro or the pure powder, praziquantel
It works well for gill flukes and can be used on fry as young as 3 weeks old. Not the cheapest stuff in the world but one
treatment is effective for 5-8 days. So it will catch any warmers that hatch from eggs lying dormant in the tank. I like it
better than formalin as it's not hazardous to breathe in. Thanks to nmartens

Books on Diseases that may help you

The first book I would recommend to any fisher keep would have to be a book called "Handbook of Fish Diseases by Dieter Untergasser." It was translated by Howard Hirschhorn and printed by TFH. The ISBN number is 0-86622-703-2. It should be widely available and a very good investment for anyone at any level of knowledge. It has some of the best pictures anywhere of dissected fish. It also has very nice charts to lead you to the correct diagnosis and treatment.

The second book is called "Handbook Of Drugs And Chemicals Used In The Treatment Of Fish Diseases" by Nelson Herwig and was printed by Charles C. Thomas. The ISBN number is 0-398-03852-X. My copy was printed in 1979 and I don't know if there has been any revisions adding newer drugs or not but it is still a great reference book anyhow. This book is a little involved and not for beginners but has a very outstanding list of medications and dosages and is worth the cost for that alone.

The third book is from a series called "The Veterinary Clinics Of North America" Small Animal Practice, Tropical Fish Medicine and was printed by W. B. Saunders Company. It is Volume 18/2 and was printed in 1988. The ISSN number is 0195-5616. It was written by several authors mostly Vets. It is a very good book and has a section on fish tranquilizers ( I need to read that again myself).

The fourth book is "Textbook of Fish Health" by Dr. George Post and is printed by TFH Publications. The ISBN number is 0-86622-491-2 and the TFH number is H-1043 for the one I have but they may be newer printing. He has good information on Piscine Tuberculosis. Has many nice pictures but is a bit technical overall.

Last edited by MTHatchery; 09-27-2007 at 06:06 AM. Reason: Added New Book
Old 04-13-2007, 04:55 AM
Madam Button-Pusher

James pretty much covered it, but I would like to add one more thing....Levasole (pig wormer).

This has been my experience with it. If any of my Angels stop eating I will up the temperature in the tank and treat them with Metronidazole. Once that treatment is over and the fish still aren't eating, then they get a Levasole treatment once I get the Metro out of the water.

Levasole can be purchased at a Farm and Tractor Supply store or can also be ordered on line at this URL http://www.pbsanimalhealth.com/cgi-l...98a+1176543887

You want the soluable type...not the pills. The pills make a mess of your tank and I don't think it is as effective as the liquid. The bottle will have yellow powder in it. Fill the bottle up with water to the mark at the top. Shake it up good and it's ready to go. I use 1 Tablespoon of Levasole per 10 gallons of tank water. I leave it in the tank for 24 - 36 hours and then do a 50% water change for the next couple of days and run activated carbon in the filter. I don't feed the fish during this treatment because they won't eat anyway and you will just foul the water.

LEVA1.jpg LEVA2.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LEVA1.jpg (94.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg LEVA2.jpg (68.4 KB, 11 views)
Old 04-13-2007, 06:09 PM

Yes that should be added to the list for sure. It is a very good treatment for live internal worms and is available to most anyone at a local level which is also very important when you need it. It is much less stressful on the fish than Flubenol 5% and works more quickly on live internal worms and is a good choice for such problems. You can treat with it and remove it before it fouls the water which can sometimes be a problem with Flubenol. It is a good and safe choice.

James
Old 04-13-2007, 06:46 PM
Lord Bovetek

That's exactly what I wanted. I really don't have a need for most of this (knock on wood) but It's nice to have a running list.
thank you James!!!

Ben
Old 04-14-2007, 08:23 AM
Jack's Angels

No one has mentioned " peroxide" while it might not be called a medicine it has earned its place in a lot of medicine cabinets -to take the place of other,messy solutions to help control fungus.
Old 04-14-2007, 02:11 PM
The Angelfish Whisperer

Perhaps someone might like to categorize the list, when more are added to it into their uses/purposes and we could post it as a link or thread somewhere in the forum.

I know when we first started getting serious about Angels, Deb and I looked at each other and said "do we really use pig wormer on our fish"..but it is a common and effective treatment.

If we could have looked at a list and could have said...thats looks like what we can use...we would have not lost so many fish, including some beautiful discus.

Deb treated some Angels a couple of years ago, she really does have so much love for her fish, we lost some due to bacterial infection..but one survived without half of its fins and tail. It grew them back and went on to become one of the family pets called Stunpy.
Alas, Stumpy is not with us any more, but I can't help but think, if we knew what treatments were available, we might have given stumpy a less stressful life.

Knowing what works successfully for others has got to be better than trying to track down a treatment in a book or searching through pages of advertising on the internet.
Maybe listing the various Angel problems and their tried practical treatments might be a good start??

Pete
Old 04-14-2007, 08:01 PM

Sounds like a good plan Peter. Everyone just keep adding Medications that work for them and I will add them to my list in post #2. Maybe in time we can explain in more detail what to use the different medications for and under what conditions they are the most effective.

James
Old 04-14-2007, 08:48 PM
The Angelfish Whisperer

Thank you James
I am in awe at the accumulated knowledge, much of it practical knowledge, that is being put on display here for all to share and newcomers to learn from, and you are playing no small part in that James.

Some of the threads and posts you and others are putting together are awesome.

Pete
Old 04-23-2007, 08:57 AM

I don't keep much on hand.

Hydrogen peroxide, salt, melafix are about it. I do have about a 20 year supply of Oxytetracycline as the only way for me to get it was to go to the feed store/co op and get a huge bag that would be used for treating sheep or pigs Nice to see I'm not the only one who has done that.

In the US you have many more meds on hand for treating fish. I know a few people who have had to go to a vet here in Canada to get metro or other meds. There is now an on line fish supply place here (MOPS) that will ship metro and a few other meds.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:30 PM
nmartens

I want to add one more to the list:
Prazi Pro or the pure powder, praziquantel
It works well for gill flukes and can be used on fry as young as 3 weeks old. Not the cheapest stuff in the world but one treatment is effective for 5-8 days. So it will catch any swarmers that hatch from eggs lying dormant in the tank. I like it better than formalin as it's not hazordous to breath in.
Nancy
Old 04-30-2007, 06:15 PM

Default Re: What medications?

Thanks Nancy,

I added it to the list and a few disease books also. If anyone else has anything to add just let me know and I will be glad to add it to the list and keep everything together.

Thanks,
James
Old 06-28-2007, 11:42 AM

Default Re: What medications?

Great list guys, have most of it on hand but I do need to add a few
Ron

The World Angelfish Forum > Angelfish Discussions > Angelfish Med Center