The World Angelfish Forum > Angelfish Discussions > Angelfish Care for Beginners > Pecking Order and New Tankmates

Angelfish Care for Beginners Tank Maintenance, Feeding and Filtration

Old 07-04-2009, 05:42 PM

Default Pecking Order and New Tankmates

I was wondering if there is always some degree of jousting when you place new fish into a tank with fish that have lived there for a good amount of time???

The reason why I ask is I just aquired two new angels today...both of them bigger than the fish I already have...seems one of my old fish has a problem with these newcomers and the old fish is becoming somewhat aggressive...sort of chasing the newbies around pecking at them flaring at them...it is comical to see this little bugger picking on these new bigger fish...I wonder what will happen when these bigger fish get used to their new environment???

Incidentally I just found my small town's LFS today...didn't know we even had one...the guy had some beautiful tanks...3 tanks of angels...one with very small fish, another with medium fish, and the third with large fish...in the large size tank he had a couple of monsters (4" bodies that had to have been 3/4 to an inch thick I think) that were just awesome @ 12.99 each I was sort of surprised by that but remember I am still pretty new to this...
Old 07-04-2009, 07:14 PM
Madam Button-Pusher

Default Re: Pecking Order and New Tankmates

Hi Teach,

Yup, there is always a pecking order with Angelfish. Any new Angels that get thrown into an established tank of Angels usually gets shoved around for a while until they all know who is boss. Sometimes it can get really bad where you would have to remove the new fish or at least move decorations around to try and mess up the older ones territories...but most of the time (in my experience) the hassling usually mellows out after a while. It all depends on the fish and how aggressive they are. Angelfish are territorial.

Congrats on the new guys and also finding a good LFS! I know where you'll be spending your extra time.

Deb
♥ ~A wise woman once said, "There comes a time in your life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh. Forget the bad, and focus on the good. Love the people who treat you right, SMACK the ones who don't. Life is too short… to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living." ♥ ~

Old 07-04-2009, 07:41 PM

Thank you maam for responding...on top of things as usual!

I had read the bullying thread and a few others and I had read before about the pecking order I am just a bit concerned because this one fella is really pushing the newbies about...he leaves the other old fish alone as he always has. I guess I should say he/she as I do not have a clue to what sex these fish are.

I'm getting very impatient with my current set up...wanting to get the tank and fish that I really want if you know what I mean...this is why I bought the new fish something different for the time being...when the new set up is ready the LFS will be getting some free fish...one is a pearlscale fish just beautiful and the other looks basically just like the fish in the headline banner of this forum.

Changing subject here but is it common in the angelfish trade for people to be selling really big old fish for 12.99???? Seems to me they would be more expensive than that...you should have seen two of these large sized fish these suckers had to be old because they were just giants...from fin tip to tip I am talking like 7-8 inches or more with very very thick bodies...they are two or three times bigger than these new medium sized ones I bought...
Old 07-04-2009, 07:44 PM
Angelfish Docent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teach View Post
Changing subject here but is it common in the angelfish trade for people to be selling really big old fish for 12.99????
Ed, they could be a bit long in the tooth and the seller knew that. Also it is possible they are someone's retired breeders. I've seen large, older angelfish go for low prices for these reasons.
Old 07-04-2009, 07:49 PM

I see...that makes sense...thanks N!

They sure were cool...

Alas no silvers or wildtypes near me so far...only one more store in Tulsa to check it's the last resort before ordering...
Old 07-04-2009, 07:52 PM
Angelfish Docent

Ed, another possibility that I've seen is that someone moved or got out of fish keeping and simply gave them to the LFS.
Old 07-04-2009, 08:31 PM
Madam Button-Pusher

I've seen large Angelfish sell in the pet shops here for around $16.00 each.

I think $12.00 is a good price for large Angels, unless like Stan said...they are really old and maybe aren't going to be around much longer.

Deb
♥ ~A wise woman once said, "There comes a time in your life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh. Forget the bad, and focus on the good. Love the people who treat you right, SMACK the ones who don't. Life is too short… to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living." ♥ ~

Old 07-04-2009, 11:06 PM

In the Dallas area the lowest price you'll find for an extra large angel is 24.99 and it goes up from there.

You generally pay about $6 for really small ones, $12.99 for medium, and $18.99-19.99 for large ones.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haiven View Post
In the Dallas area the lowest price you'll find for an extra large angel is 24.99 and it goes up from there.

You generally pay about $6 for really small ones, $12.99 for medium, and $18.99-19.99 for large ones.
Sapulpa outside of Tulsa...

small dimes 3.99
medium which are probably half dollars I'd say 6.99 some in this tank should have been classified as large probably
large 12.99 3 out of a dozen or so definately extra large fish as they were notably bigger and thicker than even the big ones yet still the same price...
all fish looked healthy and clean but I was rather concerned about the small tanks they were in 29's with a bunch of fish in the medium tank probably two dozen packed in there...

My new fish are lying low and somewhat lethargic compared to the old fish which are dancing as usual when you walk in the room begging to be fed...the old ones are down in the driftwood almost like they are sleeping even though the lights are on...my place is definately a different routine then they are used to I guess...
Old 07-05-2009, 09:47 AM
Madam Button-Pusher

Quote:
My new fish are lying low and somewhat lethargic compared to the old fish which are dancing as usual when you walk in the room begging to be fed...the old ones are down in the driftwood almost like they are sleeping even though the lights are on...my place is definately a different routine then they are used to I guess...
They're probably laying low because every time they come out and swim around they get their @ss kicked. LOL

Deb

Old 07-05-2009, 12:51 PM

LMAO...I think you're right on Deb...

Well I pulled the bully fish late last night and put him in the little tank with the pair of gouramis....daddy dwarf gourami commenced to kicking his @ss...imagine that...hahahaha

The other three are swimming around very peacefully now...

I also turned up the heat to 82 and started massive feeding last night, this morning, and here after while for lunch...huge helpings of bloodworms, shrimp, and a few chopped earthworms alive. WC is this afternoon then I will probably back off a little...just experimenting to see if I can bring a little pop out in these new fish...

The World Angelfish Forum > Angelfish Discussions > Angelfish Care for Beginners