The World Angelfish Forum > Angelfish Discussions > Angelfish Care for Beginners > Angels that won't eat

Angelfish Care for Beginners Tank Maintenance, Feeding and Filtration

Old 01-10-2010, 11:26 AM

Default Angels that won't eat

I have two angels that just won't eat. They are to the point where they are starting to get sunken bellies. They grab the food and then spit it back out. All the other fish don't have a problem with the food. So I don't know what to do. As of now the two angels are in a breeder net in the main tank so I can give them a chance of getting food without having to fight over it. When they were out of the breeder net they would just hide and wait until the food would fall to the bottom. I have tried giving them flake, frozen BBS, and hatched BBS. I am not close enough to anywhere to get black worms or anything like that. Is there anything I can do or am I going to lose two more fish?
Old 01-10-2010, 11:50 AM
Administrator - Netmaker

Default Re: Angels that won't eat

It's tough when they won't eat. Live foods are the best and you can have blackworms shipped to your door. http://aquaticfoods.com/Blackworms.html
You used to be able to get 1/2 lb for around $25.00, but it looks like his prices have put him out of reach of the typical hobbyist.
Any baby fish would work too and I have fed small angels, guppies, sword-tails and mollies to finicky fish.
Lacking all that, frozen bloodworms are taken by most all fish. These are available at most all LFS's.
It may also be a sign of something worse, and they would be better off in a separate tank.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:58 AM
The Angelfish Whisperer

Hi Jenn
hard as it sounds, its important to try to understand why they are not eating.
I am going to assume that your water conditions like nitrates and PH are ok and free of chlorine etc
How big are the fish?

If you want to save the fish, I always keep a 10 or twenty gallon tank handy to put fish like this into for treatment.
If there are no other signs indicating what the problem is, I would put them in their own tank, turn their heat up to 86 degrees and de worm them (if its bacterial, the extra heat may make it worse).

If no improvement with the de worming then treat them for bacterial infection with an anti biotic like furan two or Eurythamyacin.

If you can lay your hands on live fry try feeding them that, if an angelfish wont eat live fry, then it is usually past help. I have seen very sick angelfish dart around after fry like they were never sick - and it has pulled them through while they convalesce

Pete
Old 01-10-2010, 12:07 PM

Yes the water conditions are fine. I did a 40% water change yesterday and that is when I noticed the fish. The fish are the platinum marbles and about nickel size maybe a little bigger. I don't have any of that stuff available exccept for the tank. I am waiting for my shipment of stuff from Ken's fish and then I will have the extra heater, air pump, meds, and other food. I don't know when its going to be here. I do have some meds but I'm not sure if they will work. Clout (too strong) and melafix. Thats all I have.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:10 PM
I have no life other than Angelfish

most likely they have flagelettes and if so the heat will be a good start and then get them on metro twice a day in the water with a water change inbetween. Treat using the measure in the container for each 20 gallons of water. Most times when they spit out food it is flags. But it could be worms.

I am assuming you got metro coming from him.Clout is not the best product to use on angels. Fluebendazole is much safer to use in the water, the clout if I remember correctly has the other product that is spelled close to this but can cause severe problems for fish in the water. You can doublecheck that one.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:18 PM
The Angelfish Whisperer

Its hard to say Jenn

We have 4 tank fulls of the Plat Marbles from the exact same hatch, most are nickel to quarter size and are turning out to be some of the most beautiful finned fish I have seen. We havent seen any mortality in them nor any defetcs which is good.

We dont do anything with the water except pass it through a carbon membrane before fillling the tanks and they get a 30% water change every second day.

Ralphs suggestion of trying to feed them some sort of live food is a good one.

Yup if you can keep de wormer and anti biotics on hand all the time especially if you can't get them locally. In an emergency we can get furan 2 and generic de wormer anyday here.
I am not sure if levasole is back on the market, but I would advise you keep some on stock, it is a pig sheep dewormer and a very hard hitting substance, but one that works well

Pete
Old 01-10-2010, 02:30 PM
The Rum Runner

Jenn,

Live foods as mentioned is a great way to get fish eating again. Fry sometimes works wonders for changing behavior and creating an appetite ... either as a food source or getting that attitude going by acting as a dither fish. Know that you are getting some of the best care recommendations from Carol, Pete and Ralph. Wishing you success with your efforts for the fish's healthy recovery.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:37 PM

Thanks for all the info so far. I don't have anywhere close that I could get some live food. I pulled some fish meds out that my husband got from a guy that was shutting down his fishroom. He has never used them. Will any of these work?

Aquari-Sol (Freshwater use only)
Fluke-Tabs (500 mg tablet)
Binox - Jungle brand (extra strength bacteria and fungus remedy)

I am able to set up a 10 with filter and heater to treat them. My husband found a couple small heaters and an extra filter.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:52 PM

if they have internal flag's they need metro.

When there is a obstruction in the throat they will attempt to eat but can't swallow so they spit it back out.

I have never used fluke tabs and you should read the ingrediant list to see if it has that harse product I mentioned before.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:02 PM
Angelfish Enthusiast

Here is my understanding of why fish often stop eating.
There are microscopic organisms living in a fishes gut called Flagellates. Normally they don't cause a problem but when a fish is stressed they can multiply out of control and the fish will stop eating or eat and spit the food back out.

Here is what I have been doing with good success: First thing is to slowly raise the temperature pretty high. 81 degrees isn't going to do it. Raise it almost to 90 degrees. Angelfish can easily take this temperature but other types of tropical fish can not. I do this over a 24 hour time period . You'll have to increase aeration because higher temperatures mean less oxygen in the water.Remove any uneaten food immediately and do frequent water changes.90 degree fish water can get stinky real fast.

Then I use a medication containing metronidazole. The Parasite Clear has that ingredient but Internal Parasite Guard made by Jungle has a higher concentration of it. Pure metronidazole is best.

I follow the directions on the label but usually I have to repeat the treatment regiment more than once. The fish usually start eating in 5 or 6 days. Tempt them with something tasty like frozen or freeze dried blood worms. That always seems to be the first thing that my fish will eat after being sick.

If you have one, put a cycled sponge filter in the QT tank. The medication will not destroy the biological filter...... Otherwise you'll have to do a several water change between doses. Also bring the temperature back down just as slowly as you brought it up.

I have brought back many fish from the brink of starvation by doing this.
Good Luck
Old 01-11-2010, 11:59 AM

Just a quick addition, BBS is still a great live food for this size.

Jeff
Old 01-11-2010, 01:18 PM

free swimmers is what I use if I have a fish go on a hunger strike. I usuallt isolate the fish and add some babies. most times they attack them instantly and if not they will not foul the water if not eaten soon.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:21 PM

Well the 2 angels are still alive and still not eating. I have been treating with Metro for about 5 days now. I have also tried live foods too. Is there anything else that I can do?
Old 01-17-2010, 03:28 PM

did you also raise the heat?? They are now in a quaranteen tank?? Daily water changes??

A little detail on how you are treating them might help. If you raised the temperture to 88 or so and treated them daily with enough metro per day you should see some improvement after 5 days.

I will be the first to admit I cheat a little on the high temps always makes me a bit nervous, but heat does help to stimulate the immune system.
Old 01-17-2010, 04:33 PM
The Angelfish Whisperer

Hi Jenn, I just tried to call you.

If they are not responding to metro or any treatment after a couple of days ||I would go the next step.

Its hard to say but if I were faced with this, and nothing was obvious, I would de-worm them with levasole. If there is no sign of improvement in a couple of days it will be time to try another tack

Levasole is difficult to come by at the moment and I am not sure what other dewormer is available where you are. We use levasole because it is quick and hard hitting

Pete
Old 01-17-2010, 05:06 PM

Yes they are in a quarantine tank. The heat is at 86-87 and I have done daily water changes. I followed the directions on the container.

Where would I be able to get levasole?
Old 01-17-2010, 05:09 PM
Lord Bovetek

This is just a thought an it's very easy to come by. Sometimes when I change foods the fish won't eat. They just take it in and then spit it out. So, I just grab a clove or 3 of garlic and grate it really really fine. Then stick that into the bottom corner of a sandwich bag. Use a pin or something like to make a small hole in the same corner as the garlic. Then twist the bag until you get a couple of drops of garlic juice. I hold the bag over a portion of flake food and let the drops go on the food, Kinda mix it a bit and feed. Most times this works.
I don't know what it is about the garlic juice but it does seem to stimulate my fish to eat.
Like I said it is just a thought
Old 01-17-2010, 06:39 PM

Stacy might still have some available
Old 01-17-2010, 07:03 PM

One of the angels just died. It was swimming fine this afternoon. I just checked on them and it was laying on its side not breathing.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:16 PM

I am sorry for your loss. Sometimes when you see these things it is too late to help them. Espiecally if they are very young.

The World Angelfish Forum > Angelfish Discussions > Angelfish Care for Beginners